Monday, February 17, 2014

Balder's Myth.
 
I am Balder.  I am the Norse mythical god of peace and light, loved by everyone.  My parents were Odin and Frigg and I had three brothers, Thor, Hod, and Hermod.  I married Nanna and had a son named Forseti, the god of jusitce.  A little later on in my life I started to have awful dreams about death.  They just kept getting worse.  Frigg, my mother was worried about my life as I was, and went out asking everything in the world to not harm me.  There was an evil god, his name was Loki.  He was quite a trickster.  He was jealous of me, jealous of how everyone loved me and I was a captivating god.  Him and his trickster ways Loki disguised himself and asked my mother Frigg what in the world could hurt me.  Thinking nothing of it mom told him that the only thing she didn't ask was the mistletoe plant.  Mistletoe was too young of a plant to take such an oath.  Immediately after that Loki went to the west to find a misteltoe plant.  When he returned he found my blind brother Hod.  Not knowing what the evil Loki was doing Hod let him guide his hand to throw the mistletoe dart right through my heart.  I died instantly.  When Frigg found out she had a god go ask everything and everyone to weep for my return so I could come back to life.  The god had achieved, except when he found one last person sitting alone in a cave.  The god asked if she would weep for me, but the old witch said no, and never wept for my return.  So I stay dead, not living up to my full life; but everyone has a story to tell, and that was mine, and how I died a sad, sorrowful death.    


Post #9.  

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job explaining the myth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and compelling story of your death. Meaning the plot and stuff, not that I was interested in you dying or anything. But I enjoyed reading your myth and like the way you worded it.

    ReplyDelete